We've Moved!

Grace's Blog has moved to: http://www.hooverspad.com

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Salt - 1/16th of a teaspoon

So -- We are still here! Grace's blood sugars are resolved, she is now only being poked 2 times a day (rather than every three hours). That's the good news. The bad news is that her sodium is low. The doctor looked at me yesterday and said that if we can't get her sodium figured out - this diet will no longer be an option for Grace. The mother lion in me swelled up and thought -- well then you better figure this thing out! Outside I maintained my calm and told him that we really want to do this and will do what we can to give the diet a real shot. He hemmed and hawed about if she needed 10% more salt or 20%. I thought he'd landed at 20 -- turned out it was ten %. They added 1/16th of a teaspoon of salt to her feeding overnight. They had to poke her three times this morning to get the blood we needed to run the test again.

We were also visited by an endocrinologist yesterday who ordered a few more tests to see if there is other things we need to be looking at as long as we are here--and as we fine tune the kinks! she'll be back today.

Being away from home this long is hard. My dad has been on stand by this whole week waiting for us to come home so that he can take care of Grace so I can go back to work. We have a nurse starting in our own house with Grace on Tuesday. Have we told you all that? That gives me only a few days to prepare for that and for Kevin and I to work out how the home front will be different with the diet and a nurse. I thought I'd have a week.

Sorry this message is getting long and Grace appears to be getting bored beside me.

No comments: